What it is
Trillium’s Therapeutic Equine Program, also known as Equine Skills Training, is a program that develops an individualized plan to work with the specific needs of each client.
The Equine Dialectical Behavior Therapy (DBT) Program is an innovative curriculum that enables youth of all ages to develop a deeper understanding of the skills learned in DBT by practicing specific lessons alongside the horses.
Who we are
A Therapeutic Horse Program comprised of skills trainers and horses working with the youth, their families, and their treatment team to gain skills and achieve goals outlined in their treatment plan.
Pairing youth and their families with horses and skills trainers to build skills necessary to be successful in their journey with mental and behavioral health challenges.
Who we serve
Youth of all ages and their families who need support and skill building to be successful in their homes, schools and communities
Services we provide
Individual equine assisted skills training sessions
- Relationship building and forming healthy attachments
- Executive Functioning Skills – goal setting, sustaining attention, organization, problem solving
- Emotion Regulation Skills – managing frustration and anxiety
- Dialectical Behavior Therapy Skills – mindfulness, emotion regulation, distress tolerance, interpersonal effectiveness
- Social Skills – pairing with other clients, exploring how their behavior effects others, exploring others perspectives, effective communication
Family equine assisted skills training sessions
- Creating a bond between family members
- Helping to form a working respectful relationship between family members and client
- Working with parents and caregivers on ways to work with their youth
How is it funded
OHP and private pay options available.
The horse stables are located on the Children’s Farm Home campus among 300 beautiful acres in Corvallis, Oregon. Trillium’s Children’s Farm Home campus also offers residential and subacute programming.
Words from Clients
“It’s a lot easier for me to feel confident when I’m around horses. They help me calm down.”
-female, age 13
“It helps build relationships with my peers. It also builds trust and skills for my future.”
-male, age 16
Trillium’s full array of services
Trillium Family Services offers the complete continuum of care, from prevention to secure inpatient level
mental health services. This facilitates seamless transitions and allows children to be treated in the most
appropriate, most effective, and least restrictive level of care possible.
Please contact our Access Department for more information or to make a referral:
Trillium’s Horse Program is located at:
Children’s Farm Home
4455 NE Highway 20
Corvallis, OR 97330