Keep Oregon Well and our parent organization Trillium Family Services are proud to announce that we have recently entered into a partnership with our friends at Oregon State Credit Union and their Keep Oregon Healthy Initiative. Below, Mike Corwin, Asst. Vice President-Public Relations and Business Development for the Credit Union was nice enough to write an introductory blog for our audience.
It is with great pride that Oregon State Credit Union is partnering up with Trillium Family Services on the financial aspect of the Keep Oregon Healthy initiative.
While our main tie to Trillium lies in our home base city of Corvallis in the mid-Willamette Valley, Oregon State Credit Union continues to create financial solutions to make lives better for more than 113,000 members and their communities in 24 western and central Oregon counties. Our member-owners are among the 2,000,000 Oregonians enjoying the full array of products and services that come with credit union membership.
The Credit Union has long been dedicated to its vital role as a statewide community leader. Here is a capsule of a few of our 2018 achievements that go well beyond providing unsurpassed service to our membership:
• FINANCIAL EDUCATION: Our Community Education program facilitated 673 presentations reaching 9,010 individuals, including 6,142 youth. Three of these presentations were Financial Reality Fairs, which increase the appreciation for the cost of independent living to high school juniors and seniors in an assembly setting.• EDUCATION GRANTS: Distributed $15,000 in 55 education grants that benefited the classroom/course experience for 5,851 youth.
• SCHOLARSHIPS: This is the 21st year of our Tomorrow’s Leaders Today (TLT) scholarship program for high school seniors entering an in-state college or university. That program has awarded 201 recipients scholarship assistance currently totaling $2,000 each. We also have long-established scholarship programs at Oregon State University, Western Oregon University, and the community colleges at Chemeketa, Linn-Benton and Oregon Coast.
• OVERALL PHILANTHROPY: Donations and the aforementioned grants and scholarships totaled more than $217,000 benefiting 178 schools and non-profits. And included in this total is an investment into our relationship with Trillium and the team development of a Financial Education workbook to be used in Oregon schools.
• VOLUNTEERISM: Staff volunteerism topped 7,900 hours for the year, 93% of which was on our staff’s own time.
• A LEADER IN CU 4 KIDS: Internal staff campaigns and seasonal member efforts to benefit Oregon’s Children’s Miracle Network hospitals raised more than $37,000.
• CONTINUED COMMUNITY SHRED DAYS: Teamed with local law enforcement to serve more than 1,700 community members with free shred days that provided secure disposal of more than 25 tons of sensitive document disposal to combat identity theft and benefit local recycling. In addition, $1,155 in cash and 1,977 pounds of food were donated by the participating public to local Food Shares as part of the three events.
The Oregon State Credit Union team works passionately with a “people helping people” approach to all we do. Teaming with Trillium in 2019 is a perfect complement to that effort.